Thursday, September 3, 2009

Outro: The Serial Novel




Chapter Fourteen, Part I

Smokin’ Ruby


Ruby takes a deep drag and lets it out on a “Phew!”

“That is one nasty smoke, girlfriend!”

I fondle my last box, reviewing the six soldiers lined up inside. “They’ve been through a lot.”

“Where are they from?”

“Iraq.” I give a glance around the pier. Halfway down, there’s a mid-sized yacht – an old one, lots of lovely wooden trim. The Scuttlebutt, Port Angeles. One of the mast lines is draped in white Christmas lights – which is either way too early for the holidays or simply a year-round decoration.

“I can’t tell you more than that,” I say. “It’s part of the story. I usually perform this little ritual after karaoke, but I assume you’ll be heading out with your boyfriend.”

Ruby performs a smoke-take. “Phew! ‘Boyfriend’? God, that is so high school.”

“High school never ends, Ruby.”

“You’re tellin’ me. Check out the theater scene sometime. Well, my goodness!”

She’s reacting to the snow, which is falling in wet, wet flakes that seem to melt inches from the ground. It’s a bracing sight. Through the thickening flurry I see the flashing crosswalk on Harborview, which provides a poor man’s catwalk for a tall model with a mane of white hair. But it’s really blonde, and it’s really Shari. She arrives at the near sidewalk, pauses to look our way, then turns toward Karz.

“How come you never hooked up with one of your singers, Channy? I mean, I understand the grieving process, but sex can be a powerful healing force. How about Kevin the Cop? He’s got a thing for you, honey. I can tell by the way he wrestled me into those handcuffs. He was avenging his lady’s honor. Hell, I might let him slap those cuffs on me again sometime.”

I try my best to take a meaningful, Bogart-style pull on my cigar. (Ruby’s so naturally theatrical, she makes you want to play along.)

“Karz has one hell of a gossip distribution network. That would be one whole mess of trouble. Nah. I need a non-singer.”

“No!” says Ruby (she’s one impulse away from holding up a vampire cross). “Singers are the only people with souls. Maybe you just need a singer from somewhere else.”

“Maybe.” I take my Swisher Sweet to the last bit of tobacco (where it’s anything but sweet) and toss the wooden tip into the water.

“Is that part of the ritual?” asks Ruby.

“Is now.”

She finishes hers and tosses it in. “I’m picturing a salmon with one of those tips in his mouth, tellin’ all his friends, ‘Try it, man – it’ll make you look cool.”

It’s funny, but I’m not laughing.



Next: Toy Time

Purchase the book at: http://www.amazon.com/Outro-Michael-J-Vaughn/dp/1440111405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231020486&sr=8-1




Image by MJV.

No comments:

Post a Comment